Childbirth: Images Spanning Thousands of Years


Posted by Monica Bielanko on December 13th, 2011 at 7:36 pm

A year ago my husband gifted me with Randi Hutter Epstein’s book Get Me Out: A History of Childbirth From the Garden of Eden to the Sperm Bank.

It is an excellent read for myriad reasons. Myriad, I say! Doesn’t the phrase “myriad reasons” make me sound a little bit smart? I think it does. That’s why I employed it when describing Epstein’s book.

Get Me Out runs the gamut of pregnancy, exploring the medical and cultural history of pregnancy and childbirth, from folk remedies and old wives’ tales to ultrasound images and fertility drugs.

It was so mind-altering reading it got me to googling images relating to sections of the book and I was amazed at what I discovered. From ancient times to now, whether carved into rock or snapped by a camera, images of childbirth are absolutely fascinating.

To view these amazing pictures please click here.